Skip to main content

Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art records

Identifier: UA 120

Scope and Contents

Material is organized by accession and includes the following material: (lists are not comprehensive)

Accession: 1996.105: Building records, 1924-1929 (filed with Acc. # 10513).

Accession: 10726: General Museum records, 1968-1972.

Accession: 10.031: Exhibits and advisory board records, 1932-2007.

Accession: 1996.694: Campus planning files, ROTC reports and committee records, acquisitions, and Friends of the Museum minutes, 1972-1983.

Accession: 1996.545: Exhibit records and office files, 1969-1973.

Accession: 1996.548: Exhibit records and office files, 1979-1986.

Accession: 1996.507: Exhibits, 1973-1979.

Accession: 2002s.66: Exhibits and accounting files, rentals, artist sales, gift shop, exhibit, and accounts, 1971-1995.

Accession: 10.979.A: Exhibit files, Board of Governors, museum staff meetings, material about Morris Graves and Nancy Wilson Ross, 1955-1975.

Accession: 11.180.A: General Museum records and friends of the museum records, minutes, and acquisition records, 1974-1980.

Accession: 11.305.A: Minutes, acquisition files, and publicity, 1970-1977.

Accession: 11.306.A: Friends of the Museum records, office files, flea marts, 1975-1977.

Accession: 11.561.A: Office files, minutes, newspaper clippings, photographs, and Friends of the Museum records, 1965-1980.

Accession: 1996.631: Friends of the Museum and docent records, office files and minutes, 1975-1994.

Accession 1996.542.A: Exhibit records and office files, 1986-1988.

Accession: 10513: Gerlinger files, letters and lists dealing with Gerlinger Hall and its furnishings, 1915-1928.

Accession: 10144: Office files, financial records, correspondence, administrative subject files including Museum history, loans, exhibits, Gertrude Bass Warner, library, acquisitions, Festival of the Arts, TV productions, and correspondence of Jiro Harada, 1947-1967.

Accession: 10726: General Museum records, 1968-1972.

Accession: 10926: Museum planning committee minutes, architectural analysis, and office files, 1975-1978.


  • 1915-2007


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. Access to paper records will be granted after a professional review of the records occurs based on regulations in state and federal laws. Contact Special Collections and University Archives well in advance in order to access these records.

Conditions Governing Use

Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

The University of Oregon's art museum opened its doors to the public on June 10, 1933. Designed by Ellis F. Lawrence, the UO dean of the School of Architecture & Allied Arts (1914-1946), the museum was built to house the Murray Warner Collection of Oriental Art. The collection consisted of more than 3,000 objects given to the University by Gertrude Bass Warner in 1921 as a memorial to her late husband.

With its elegant exterior brickwork, decorative moldings and iron grillwork, the original museum building is one of the most distinctive architectural structures in Oregon. The museum is listed on the National Register for Historic Places.

In October 2002 the art museum broke ground for an expansion and renovation project. With its new name-– Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art-–in recognition of its major donor, the museum reopened in 2005.

Source: Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art website:


41 linear feet (36 containers)

Language of Materials



The University of Oregon's art museum first opened its doors to the public on June 10, 1933; it was renovated and reopened in 2005 as the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art (MOA). The collection (1915-2007) contains records of the Museum and the Friends of the Museum of Art organization, and material includes correspondence and minutes, history files, exhibit and loan material, acquisition files, photographs, and building records among other material.


Material within this collection has been organized by accession. This organization reflects the fact that the collection has been acquired in increments over time. This organization is also based on the decision not to merge the various accessions and organize them as a whole at this point in time, give the fact that future accruals are anticipated and/or that this organization is deemed sufficient for access.

Researchers should note that materials within a series or accession may overlap and/or relate to materials found in other accessions or initially processed materials. For example, correspondence may be found in all or only some groupings. In order to locate all relevant material within this collection, researchers may need to consult each accession.

Researchers should also note that similar materials can be arranged differently in each accession, depending on how the material is organized upon receipt or during initial processing. For instance, correspondence is one accession may be arranged alphabetically, while correspondence in another accession is arranged chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The records have been acquired through occasional transfers from the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art.


Continued transfers of records from the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art are expected indefinitely.

Physical Description

22 record storage boxes, 11 manuscript boxes, 2 half manuscript boxes, and 1 oversize flat box.

Processing Information

Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, January 2012; updated by processing staff, November 2015.

This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.

This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing. Multiple accession(s) for the collection have not been merged or organized as a whole. Each accession is described separately.

Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents. Folder titles are based on those created by the creators or previous custodians. Titles have not all been verified against the contents of the folders. In some cases, staff supplied folder titles during initial processing.

Guide to the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art Records
Complete Description
Tanya Parlet; updated by processing staff.
2012; update 2015
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English
Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Repository Details

Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository

1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA