Scope and Contents
The collection includes office files, minutes, and society history files, 1948-1985.
- Mortar Board (Society). University of Oregon Chapter (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. Access to paper records will be granted after a professional review of the records occurs based on regulations in state and federal laws. Contact Special Collections and University Archives well in advance in order to access these records.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Oregon Mortar Board Society was founded in 1923. The Mortar Board is a national honor society that recognizes college seniors for excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership and service. Mortar Board members are first-rate leaders, selected from the tops of their classes. Since its establishment in 1918, nearly a quarter of a million members have been initiated at more than 200 chapters across the nation.
Source: UO University of Oregon Mortar Board Society website: http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~mortar/index.html
1.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 record storage box
Language of Materials
The University of Oregon Mortar Board Society was founded in 1923. The collection includes office files, minutes, and society history files.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
1 record storage box
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, December 2011.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- College students -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student Life Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the Mortar Board Society Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).