Scope and Contents
Collection contains publications and pamphlets largely related to conferences such as the Raza Unida Youth conferences, Beyond Patriarchy, MEChA National and Regional conferences in 2009.
Language of Materials
Collection materials are in Spanish and English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
MEChA, a University of Oregon student union, originated with another organization in 1964, known as the Chicano Student Union. The union took the name MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano Aztlan) in 1969. There are about 300 MEChA Chapters in existence nationwide. MEChA has four specific programs: Ganas, La Jotera, Mujeres and Raza Unida Youth Conference.
Source: MEChA website, http://pages.uoregon.edu/mecha/?page_id=8 (accessed on October 25, 2011).
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano Aztlan), a University of Oregon student union began as a part of the Chicano Student Union in 1964. The group took its current title in 1969. The collection contains publications and pamphlets related to 2009 conferences.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records have been acquired through occasional transfers from MECha.
Continued transfers of records from MECha are expected indefinitely.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2011.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Clubs -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mexican American college students -- Political activity -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mexican Americans -- Education (Higher) -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student Life Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Student movements -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student publications -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the MECha Records
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).