Office of the President: Clarence Valentine Boyer records
Scope and Contents
The bulk of the collection contains records between the 1930s and 1950s, which cover's Boyer's tenure as president (1934-1938), but there are also records that cover the tenure of presidents' Donald M. Erb (1938-1943), Harry K. Newburn (1945-1953), O. Meredith Wilson (1954-1960), Arthur Fleming (1961-1968), and Robert D. Clark (1969-1975).
The collection is organized by accession. As of 2013 there is only one accession and material includes (list is not comprehensive):
Accession 10712.A: is organized in a numerical order (assigned by the President's office) that roughly corresponds to date order, 1932-1970. It seems that every piece of correspondence or transaction was assigned a number as it came through the Office of the President, and this is why the material roughly corresponds to date order.
However, material is contained within accordion files which are not dated. The outside of the files have a typed list of the contents, organized in numerical order.
Material includes official copies of correspondence, reports, financial records, transactions, minutes, and other documents from the Office of the President, and also from faculty, departments, schools, and other administrative units.
The last three boxes mostly consist of Oregon State System of Higher Education (OSSHE) communications and minutes.
- Boyer, Clarence Valentine, 1880-1954 (Person)
- Erb, Donald M. (Donald Milton), 1900-1943 (Person)
- Newburn, Harry Kenneth, 1906- (Person)
- Wilson, O. Meredith, 1909-1998 (Person)
- Flemming, Arthur S. (Arthur Sherwood), 1905-1996 (Person)
- Clark, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-2005 (Person)
- University of Oregon. Office of the President (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. Access to paper records will be granted after a professional review of the records occurs based on regulations in state and federal laws. Contact Special Collections and University Archives well in advance in order to access these records.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Clarence Valentine Boyer (1880-1954) began his tenure as President of the University of Oregon during the Great Depression, in 1934. Boyer faced plummeting enrollments and budgets, along with the elimination of many faculty positions.
"Just before he took office, in an effort to save money and eliminate duplication, all science classes were moved to Oregon State College and all social sciences moved to the UO. Opposed to this and wanting the immediate return of the science classes to campus, Boyer found himself at odds with the university's Advisory Council, which favored a slower process. In spite of these struggles, Boyer was able to gain funding for three major building projectsâ€”the library, the men's physical education building, and the infirmary."
"Boyer resigned for health reasons in 1938, but stayed on at the UO as dean of arts and letters, chairman of the Department of English, and professor until 1947."
[Source: University of Oregon. "Presidential History." Office of the President, webpage: http://president.uoregon.edu]
30 linear feet (20 containers) : 20 record storage boxes
Language of Materials
Clarence Valentine Boyer (1880-1954) was an English professor and dean at the University of Oregon, and also served as University President from 1934 until 1938. The collection (1932-1970) contains records from the Office of the President which include correspondence, reports, minutes, financial records, among other documents.
Material within this collection has been organized by accession. This organization reflects the fact that the collection has been acquired in increments over time. This organization is also based on the decision not to merge the various accessions and organize them as a whole at this point in time, give the fact that future accruals are anticipated and/or that this organization is deemed sufficient for access.
Researchers should note that materials within a series or accession may overlap and/or relate to materials found in other accessions or initially processed materials. For example, correspondence may be found in all or only some groupings. In order to locate all relevant material within this collection, researchers may need to consult each accession.
Researchers should also note that similar materials can be arranged differently in each accession, depending on how the material is organized upon receipt or during initial processing. For instance, correspondence is one accession may be arranged alphabetically, while correspondence in another accession is arranged chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred by the Office of the President.
Continued transfers of records from the Office of the President are expected indefinitely.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing. Multiple accession(s) for the collection have not been merged or organized as a whole. Each accession is described separately.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Boyer, Clarence Valentine, 1880-1954
- Clark, Robert D. (Robert Donald), 1910-2005
- College presidents -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Erb, Donald M. (Donald Milton), 1900-1943
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Memorandums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newburn, Harry Kenneth, 1906-
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- University of Oregon
- University of Oregon
- University of Oregon
- University of Oregon. Office of the President
- Wilson, O. Meredith, 1909-1998
- Guide to the Office of the President: Clarence Valentine Boyer Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 13 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 14 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 15 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 16 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 17 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 18 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 19 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 20 (Mixed Materials)