Office of the President: Prince Lucien Campbell records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains records that document the Office of the President from 1902-1927.
- Campbell, Prince Lucien, 1861-1925 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. Access to paper records will be granted after a professional review of the records occurs based on regulations in state and federal laws. Contact Special Collections and University Archives well in advance in order to access these records.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Prince Lucien Campbell (1861-1925) was born in Newmarket, Missouri. In 1869, his family moved to Oregon when when his father Thomas Franklin Campbell became president of Christian College in Monmouth, Oregon. Campbell graduated from Christian College and later Harvard.
Campbell was first employed by the Kansas City Star, and in 1889, he became president of the Christian college that had become Oregon Normal School (ONS), which is now Western Oregon University. He was president of ONS until 1902 when he left to become president of the University of Oregon. He served as president of UO until 1925.
At the time of President Campbell's arrival at the UO, student enrollment stood at about 250 and an annual appropriation of $47,500 satisfied its fiscal needs. When he died in 1925, enrollment had grown to 3,000 students and the annual budget was $966,000. Leading with great personal charm and skills as an orator, Campbell focused his time and energy on building harmony between faculty members and students as well as on increasing the stature of the faculty. One of his key hires was Ellis F. Lawrence, who founded the School of Architecture and Allied Arts and radically changed the look of the campus through his design of dozens of university buildings. Campbell also used his considerable abilities of persuasion to gain legislative and popular support for increased state funding for the university.
(Sources: University of Oregon and Western Oregon University webpages)
28.5 linear feet (19 containers)
Language of Materials
Prince Lucien Campbell (1861-1925) served as president of the University of Oregon from 1902 until 1925. The collection contains records that document the Office of the President, 1902-1927.
The collection is arranged chronologically and alphabetically by subject file titles.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records have been acquired through occasional transfers from the Office of the President.
Continued transfers of records from the Office of the President are expected indefinitely.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing. Multiple accession(s) for the collection have not been merged or organized as a whole. Each accession is described separately.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Campbell, Prince Lucien, 1861-1925
- College presidents -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Office files Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- University of Oregon. Office of the President
- Guide to the Office of the President: Prince Lucien Campbell Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet. Revisions by Lauren Goss
- 2013; 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)