Scope and Contents note
The George Crook collection includes 22 letters from Crook to Lyman Walter V. Kennon, his aide, 1888-1890. There are also drafts of letters to George A. Custer and Emmet Crawford. Letters received are from Wesley Merritt, Robert Strahorn, Ranald MacKenzie, Marion P. Maus. Most of the letters refer to Indian campaigns and the relocation of the Apache Indian reservation.
- Crook, George, 1829-1890 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
George Crook was an Army officer during the late 1800s who was best known for his Indian fighting in the Pacific Northwest and Southwest.
0.1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 folders
Language of Materials
George Crook was a U.S. Army officer. The George Crook papers comprise letters concerning the Sioux campaign of 1876, the Apache campaigns of 1883 and 1886, the Sioux Commission, 1889, and the relocation of the Apache Indian reservation.
The collection is arranged in two folders, one containing original letters and the other containing copies of the same letters.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Apache Indians -- Wars, 1883-1886 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Black Hills War, 1876-1877 -- Wars, 1876 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Crawford, Emmett
- Crook, George, 1829-1890
- Crook, George, 1829-1890
- Custer, George A. (George Armstrong), 1839-1876
- Generals -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Government relations -- 1869-1934 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- 1866-1895 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kennon, Lyman Walter Vere, 1858-1918
- Mackenzie, Ranald Slidell, 1840-1889
- Maus, Marion P. (Marion Perry), 1850-1930
- Merritt, Wesley, 1834-1910
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Native Americans Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Politics and Politicians Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Strahorn, Robert E. (Robert Edmund), 1852-1944
- United States. Sioux Commission (1889)
- Guide to the George Crook papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Jenny Palm
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.