Skip to main content

Thomas Allen McBride papers

 Collection
Identifier: A 291

Scope and Contents

The collection contains correspondence, speeches, publications, certificates, clippings, and photographs.

Correspondence includes a letter from Oregon Senator Charles McNary.

Newspaper clippings consist of reprinted speeches by McBride, pictures, biographical information and a section of clippings regarding the career of McBride's brother, George McBride.

Photographs are mostly portraits of McBride, the McBride family, and Oregon homes. The photographs were removed from their original placement in the collection and are stored separately for preservation reasons, under the call number PH165.

Certificates and other documents (1876-1926) include deeds, McBride's nomination to the Oregon Supreme Court, admission to the Bar, etc.

Publications include books, and an article in the Oregon Law Review titled "Reminiscences of the Oregon bar" (1923).

Dates

  • 1893-1923

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.

Conditions Governing Use

Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

Thomas Allen McBride (1847-1930) became an attorney, served in the Oregon House of Representatives, as a District Attorney, as a Clatsop County Circuit Court judge, and from 1909 till 1930, served as an Oregon Supreme Court Justice.

After working as an attorney, MacBride was elected to represent Columbia County in the Oregon Legislature in 1876. Beginning in 1882 he served as District Attorney for the Fifth Judicial District (at the time, Washington, Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, and Wasco counties) until 1892 when he became a Circuit Court judge for Clatsop County.

In 1909, the governor appointed McBride to the state supreme court, and in 1914 until 1930 McBride continually won reelection. He served as chief justice of the court five times. McBride died in office on September 9, 1930.

Extent

2.5 linear feet (3 containers) : 1 clamshell box, 2 photograph boxes

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Thomas Allen McBride (1847-1930) became an attorney, served in the Oregon House of Representatives, as a District Attorney, as a Clatsop County Circuit Court judge, and from 1909 till 1930, served as an Oregon Supreme Court Justice. The collection contains correspondence, speeches, publications, certificates, clippings, and photographs.

Arrangement

Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.

Other Finding Aids

Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.

Processing Information

Collection processed by staff, 1973.

This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.

This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.

Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
Title
Guide to the Thomas Allen McBride Papers
Status
Complete Description
Author
Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
Date
2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.
Sponsor
Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Repository Details

Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA