Westover Terrace construction photograph albums
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains 118 black and white photographs taken during the construction of the Westover Terrace development, in NW Portland, Oregon from 1910-1912.
The photographs show the sluicing operation as well as the construction of roads and houses in the development. Several series of photographs are take from the same spot each month, showing the development of certain areas.
- Creation: 1910-1929
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
The Westover Terrace development is located in Portland, Oregon. The area between what is now West Burnside Road and NW Cornell Road is the location of this project. From 1910-1912 the Lewis-Wiley Hydraulic Company from Seattle, Washington sluiced and terraced Goldsmith Hill in NW Portland and formed the Westover Terrace development. Because the water needed for the operation was twice the daily consumption of the city of Portland, the developers built a 12 million gallon pumping station at the Guild's Lake site. A flume carried the rocks and sediment down the hillside, filling Guild's Lake, the site of the 1905 Lewis and Clark Fair. Fifty acres of dry land were created by filling in this lake.
The first house built in the development was at 2877 NW Westover Road for a cost of $1900 in 1911. The plot was owned by William H. Lewis, one of the developers.
The 1912 Portland City Directory lists William H. Lewis president of Lewis-Wiley Hydraulic, Eugene L. McAllaster (Seattle) vice president, Horatio H. Parker secretary, and Howard D. Ripley treasurer.
0.2 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
Collection comprises two albums containing 118 black and white photographs of the construction of the Westover Terrace development in Northwest Portland, Or. from 1910-1912. The photographs show the sluicing operation as well as the construction of roads and houses in the development. Several series of photographs are take from the same spot each month, showing the development of certain areas.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Purchased from Richard Sasaki in 2005.
General Physical Description note
2 albums (118 photographs)
Processing Information note
Collection processed by Megan Dazey.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Guide to the Westover Terrace construction photograph albums
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Normandy Helmer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.