Orvil and Alice Dodge letters to David P. Walrad
Scope and Contents
This collection contains several handwritten letters from Orvil and Alice Dodge to David P. Walrad (brother of Alice) and his wife. The letters describe The Dalles, Oregon, and Orvil's life in the First Oregon Cavalry. There is also a brief written history of Norman Ovando Dodge by Orvil and Allen Dodge (his sons).
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Orvil Dodge (1839-1914) and Alice Dodge (Walrad) travelled overland to California in 1860. The next year they settled in Jacksonville, Oregon. They divorced in 1863. Orvil worked as a photographer in Jacksonville.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Orvil and Alice Dodge lived in Jacksonville, Oregon, where Orvil worked as a photographer. Collection includes several handwritten letters to David P. Walrad and his wife along with a brief history of Norman Dodge by Orvil and Allen Dodge (his sons).
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Cavalry -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dalles (Or.) -- Description and travel Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Dodge, Orvil Ovando, 1839-1914
- Jacksonville (Or.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Orvil and Alice Dodge Letters to David P. Walrad
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Amanda Steele, and Chasmodai Cassidy
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English