Scope and Contents
The collection contains three volumes of diaries (April 22, 1912 - March 20, 1916) that cover Thebaud's Philippine Islands experiences.
There are also hand-drawn maps and one printed map which were removed from the diaries and filed separately in an oversize folder for preservation reasons. Maps of Philippine locations include Apayao sub-province, Laguna Province, Roadsketch of Baguio and Vincinity, and Kayapa County.
Photographs consist of a photograph album documenting Thebaud's career in the Constabulary and include photographs of soldiers, Constabulary officials, Filipinos, and the Philippines. The photographs were removed from the collection for preservation reasons and are stored separately under call number PH224.
- Thebaud, Joseph V., 1888-1981 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph V. Thebaud was born in California and educated at Rock Hill College, Ellicott City, Maryland. He joined the Philippine Constabulary in 1912 and resigned in 1915. He later served as an officer in the U.S. Army.
3 linear feet (3 folders, 1 container)
Language of Materials
Joseph V. Thebaud (1888 - ) served in the Philippine Constabulary in 1912, resigned in 1915, and later served as an officer in the U.S. Army. The collection (1912-1916) contains diaries covering Thebaud's experience in the Constabulary, manuscript maps, and photographs.
2 folders in a shared clamshell box, and 1 oversize folder; Photo boxes: one clamshell box.
Collection processed by staff in the 1970s; and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Diaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Philippine Constabulary
- Philippines -- Politics and government -- 1898-1935 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Philippines -- History -- 1898-1946 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Philippines -- Maps Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Philippines -- Photographs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Police -- Philippines -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thebaud, Joseph V., 1888-1981
- Thebaud, Joseph V., 1888-1981
- United States. Army
- Guide to the Joseph V. Thebaud Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).