Scope and Contents
The collection (1916-1945) contains pen and ink original drawings, on poster board, arranged by subject: War and Foreign Affairs; Domestic Cartoons; and United States Political Cartoons.
There is a paper finding aid in Special Collections and University Archives that lists each cartoon by title, and includes date, and dimension information.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
1 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
John T. McCutcheon was a Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist for the Chicago Tribune. The collection (1916-1945) contains original drawings, in pen and ink, drawn for the Tribune.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff, 1971; and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
- American newspapers -- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American wit and humor, Pictorial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cartoons (Commentary) Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Chicago Tribune (Firm)
- Editorial cartoonists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Editorial cartoons -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ink drawings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Journalism Subject Source: Archiveswest
- McCutcheon, John T. (John Tinney), 1870-1949
- Newspaper publishing -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political cartoons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1901-1953 -- Caricatures and cartoons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World politics -- 1900-1945 -- Caricatures and cartoons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the John McCutcheon Cartoons
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).