Scope and Contents
This collection contains two letters written by James Willis Nesmith. The letter dated May 12, 1874, to Constituent John S. Cocke concerns swamplands in Oregon. The second letter dated October 27, 1867, to Senator Benjamin Stark concerns the appointment of a minister to Mexico. Both letters include transcriptions.
- Nesmith, James Willis, 1820-1885 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
James Willis Nesmith was the second U.S. Senator elected from Oregon, serving 1861-1867. He was also elected to the U.S. Congress in 1873 and served until 1875. He served both houses of the legislature as a Democrat.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
James Willis Nesmith was a US Senator and a US Representative for Oregon between 1861-1875. This collection consists of correspondence.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Donald T. Smith, 1990-1991.
Processing Information note
Collection is processed.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Cocke, John S. (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diplomatic and consular service, American -- Mexico Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nesmith, James Willis, 1820-1885
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politics and Politicians Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Stark, Benjamin, 1820-1898 (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- Guide to the James Willis Nesmith Correspondence
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English