Oregon Capitol Reconstruction Commission records
Scope and Contents
The collection (1935-1936) contains the files of commission member George A. Marshall, and include minutes, bulletins, official and unofficial correspondence, and the commission report.
- Marshall, George Allen, 1878-1958 (Person)
- Oregon. State Capitol Reconstruction Commission (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Capitol Reconstruction Commission was established in November, 1935, during a special session of the Oregon Legislative Assembly. The Commission succeeded the State Planning Board in planning the construction of a new capitol building to replace the previous capitol building, which burned in April, 1935. The Commission, which consisted of nine members and a secretary, was to oversee the "construction and equipping of a State Capitol building or buildings, including [a] State Library." The secretary, John Alton Bassett, was responsible for coordinating decision-making information to the various commissioners.
The Commission first met in December, 1935, and immediately began to select a site and design for the Capitol. Over the next three years the Commission presided over the selection of architects, artists, contractors, and others for the construction of the State Capitol, State Library, and Capitol Heating Plant.
Construction of the Capitol began in 1936 and ended in 1938. Financing for a large portion of [this] project was secured from the Public Works Administration."
George A. Marshall, an eastern Oregon rancher, was appointed to the Oregon State Capitol Reconstruction Commission in 1935.
[Source: Oregon State Archives]
1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 clamshell box
Language of Materials
The Capitol Reconstruction Commission was established in November, 1935, during a special session of the Oregon Legislative Assembly, to plan the construction of a new capitol building. The collection (1935-1936) contains the files of commission member George A. Marshall, and include minutes, bulletins, official and unofficial correspondence, and the commission report.
1 clamshell box.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Bulletins Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Marshall, George Allen, 1878-1958
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Capital and capitol Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon State Capitol (Salem, Or. : 1938- ) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon State Library
- Public architecture -- Oregon -- Salem Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Salem (Or.) -- Buildings, structures, etc Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Guide to the Oregon Capitol Reconstruction Commission Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA