Scope and Contents note
The Julia Holt papers comprise one folder of correspondence from sisters Julia A. Holt (Mansfield Beach) and Adella Holt (Grimes) to their aunt and uncle in Georgia. The letters give an account of the Holt family's journey from Lexington, Georgia, across the isthmus of Panama to Oregon in 1866, and describe the family's life in Oregon. The collection includes original letters and photocopies of typescripts of additional letters.
- Holt, Julia A. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Julia Holt was the daughter of Alfred Holt. She traveled from Lexington, Georgia, to Oregon in 1866, by way of the isthmus of Panama.
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
The Julia Holt papers consist of correspondence between Julia Holt and her sister Adella Holt describing Julia's journey to Oregon in 1866.
Collection is organized into the following series: Correspondence.
Collection is located with other small manuscript collections.
General Physical Description note
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- City and Town Life Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Expeditions and Adventure Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Holt, Adella, -1928
- Holt, Adella, -1928
- Holt, Julia A.
- Home and Family Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Julia A. Holt Letters
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Jenny Palm
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.