Shaw McCutcheon cartoons
Scope and Contents
The collection contains eighteen original ink drawings. There is a paper finding aid in Special Collections and University Archives that lists each drawing by title.
- McCutcheon, Shaw, 1921- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Shaw McCutcheon (1921- ) is an American editorial cartoonist.
"Born in Chicago in 1921, Shaw McCutcheon is the son of Pulitzer Prize winning editorial cartoonist, John T. McCutcheon. Shaw McCutcheon received a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Harvard, but while serving in World War II, he took interest in politics and cartooning. McCutcheon studied political science for two years at the University of Chicago, and then attended the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts for another two years."
"At the urging of Chicago Tribune cartoonist Carey Orr (who succeeded McCutcheon’s father), McCutcheon applied for a cartoonist job with the Spokesman Review in Spokane, Washington. His first cartoon appeared in the summer of 1950, and in the 1970s, McCutcheon also began writing editorials for the paper, often on issues regarding economics and national defense."
"McCutcheon retired from the Spokesman Review in 1986. In 2005, some of McCutcheon's original cartoons were added to the permanent collection of the Northwest Museum of Art & Culture in Spokane."
[Source: Finding aid for the Shaw McCutcheon cartoon collection at Syracuse University: Shaw McCutcheon Cartoons, Special Collections Research Center, Syracuse University Libraries]
1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 solander case
Language of Materials
Shaw McCutcheon (1921- ) is an American editorial cartoonist, and also author, who worked for the Spokesman Review newspaper. The collection (1969) contains original ink drawings for cartoons published in 1969.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff 1969; and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
- American newspapers -- Washington (State) -- Spokane Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American wit and humor, Pictorial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cartoons Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Cartoons (Commentary) Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Editorial cartoonists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Editorial cartoons -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ink drawings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Journalism Subject Source: Archiveswest
- McCutcheon, Shaw, 1921-
- Newspaper publishing -- Washington (State) -- Spokane -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political cartoons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spokesman-review book
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1969-1974 -- Caricatures and cartoons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Washington (State) -- Politics and government -- "1951" -- Caricatures and cartoons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Shaw McCutcheon Cartoons
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA