James Willis Nesmith print block and broadside
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a print block designed by James Willis Nesmith concerning J. Quinn Thorton, a transcription of the print block, and a broadside.
Statement by Nesmith concerning the character of J. Quinn Thornton, an Oregon Ranger. Statement was originally printed in 1847; this is not the original woodblock.
- circa 1820-1885
- Nesmith, James Willis, 1820-1885 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
James Willis Nesmith was the second US Senator elected from Oregon, serving 1861 -1867. He was also elected to the US Congress in 1873 and served until 1875. He served both houses of the legislature as a Democrat.
0.1 linear feet (1 containe) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
James Willis Nesmith was a US Senator and a US Representative for Oregon between 1861-1875. This collection includes a print block and a broadside.
Processing Information note
Collection is processed.
Collection is processed.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Broadsides Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Oregon City (Or.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political campaigns Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political campaigns -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political posters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Politics and Politicians Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Printing blocks Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Thornton, J. Quinn (Jessy Quinn), 1810-1888
- Guide to the James Willis Nesmith Print Block and Broadside
- Revise Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English