H. Johnson journal
Scope and Contents note
Journal kept by H. Johnson describing an ocean voyage to Oregon during the 1860s, the collision of two ships, and a subsequent trip from Portland to The Dalles, Oregon. The journal contains a list, by city and county, of suscribers to Smith's New Naval & Military Map of the United States, expenses for September and October 1865, and a discussion of local Methodist churches.
- Johnson, H. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
H. Johnson was a methodist preacher who lived in Oregon in the 1860s. He frequently traveled between Portland, Oregon and the Dalles, Oregon.
0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
H. Johnson journal from the 1860s discusses trips through Oregon and local Methodist churches.
Collection is organized into a single folder containing the journal of H. Johnson.
Collection is located with other small manuscript collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase from Charles Apfelbaum Rare Books and Collections, 1988.
General Physical Description note
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Diaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Methodist Church -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Transportation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the H. Johnson Journal
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Jenny Palm
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.