Scope and Contents note
The Geoge Bond papers comprise a photocopy of a published typescript which presents the text of George Bond's diary, which concerns the Bond family's 1853 overland journey to Oregon. There are six leaves in total, most containing two pages of the original typescript.
- Bond, George, 1818- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
George Bond was born in Henry County, Kentucky in 1818. With his family, he later moved to Indiana and then Illinois. He was, for many years, a Baptist minister. Along with several members of his family, George Bond made the overland journey to Oregon. Bond's diaries were left with his son James, who suppressed them because he feared that the spelling found in the writing might cast discredit on his father's reputation. The diaries came to light after the death of James Bond. After arriving in Oregon, the members of the travelling party scattered throughout the Willamette Valley. The portions of the diary transcribed here cover the overland journey, April-September 1853.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
The George Bond papers comprise a photocopy of a published typescript in which a segment of George Bond's diary in transcribed. The segment concerns the Bond family's 1853 overland journey to Oregon.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Bond family
- Bond, C. A.
- Bond, George, 1818-
- Bond, George, 1818-
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Overland Journeys to the Northwestern United States Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Overland journeys to the Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the George Bond Journal
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Erick Arenas
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.