Charles B. Newton reminiscences
Scope and Contents
Newton's typewritten reminiscences describe missionary life in Ludhiana, Sabathu, and Simla. They give an historical sketch of Lahore, 1839-1848, and tell of the author's teaching and missionary work in Lahore. There are many quotations from letters from India, 1854-1867, including descriptions of the Mutiny of 1857.
- Newton, Charles B., 1842- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Charles B. Newton (1842-) was born in Ludhiana, India, the son of Presbyterian missionaries. He was brought to the United States in 1852 and in 1867 was graduated from Western Theological Seminary, Allegheny City, Pennsylvania. He then returned to India, taught at Forman Christian College, Lahore, and was superintendent of its high school.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Charles B. Newton (1842-) was a Presbyterian missionary in India. Newton's typewritten reminiscences describe missionary life in Ludhiana, Sabathu, and Simla.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- India -- History -- Sepoy Rebellion, 1857-1858 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lahore (Pakistan) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Missionaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Missionaries -- India Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Presbyterian Church -- Missions -- India -- Lahore Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reminiscences Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Teachers -- India Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Charles B. Newton Reminiscences
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA