Santiam Academy student manuscripts
Scope and Contents
The collection (1865-1869) contains manuscripts of periodicals created by students of the Academy.
Periodical titles include:
Aurora Borealis, vol. 1, nos. 1-2, December 25, 1865 and February 6, 1866;
Debater's Review, vol. 1, no. 1, 1865;
Lodge Chip Basket [n.d.];
Review, vol. 2, no. 2, April 3, 1869;
Times, vol. 1, no. 5, March 19, 1868.
- Santiam Academy (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The first school in Lebanon, Oregon was built in the early 1850s by the Methodist Church. It began as a log cabin that was used for church service, and as a school. This school legally became the Santiam Academy on January 18, 1854, by a special Act of the Oregon Territorial Legislature.
"The members of the first Board of Trustees were: John McKinney, Aaron J. Hyde, the Rev. Thomas H. Pearne, William C. Gallagher, Andrew Kees, Alvan H. Wailer, Morgan Kees, Jeremiah Ralston, Luther T. Woodward, Delazon Smith, Luther Elkins, John Settle and David W. Ballard. In 1857, William Helm, Thomas Angell and Ruben S. Coyle [were] also named as trustees."
The school initially enrolled about fifty students; by 1870, enrollment increased to about 150 students. The school closed in 1903.
[Sources: Lebanon Community School District. lebanon.or.schoolwebpages.com; "History of the First Methodist Church of Lebanon, and of its associate, Santiam Academy, by Anna D. S. Pratt. Webpage: http://www.linncountyroots.com]
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
The Santiam Academy of Lebanon, Oregon, was built and run by the Methodist Church in the 1850s. The collection (1865-1869) contains manuscripts of periodicals created by students of the Academy.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Education -- Oregon -- Lebanon -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Oregon -- Lebanon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lebanon (Or.) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Methodist Church -- Education -- Oregon -- Lebanon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Santiam Academy
- Santiam Academy
- School prose, American -- Oregon -- Lebanon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student newspapers and periodicals -- Oregon -- Lebanon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Students -- Oregon -- Lebanon -- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Santiam Academy Student Manuscripts
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA