Margaret Szasz Collection on the Klamath Indian Tribe
Scope and Contents note
Series I of the collection contains materials pertaining to the U.S. government's policy of termination of Klamath Indians’ tribal status.
Series II contains materials relating to the Klamath Tribes’ Restoration Committee’s efforts to regain tribal status through congressional legislation in the 1980’s.
Series III contains materials relating to the Klamath Tribes’ production of an Economic Self-Sufficiency Plan as mandated by the Restoration Act, as well as a sub-series of drafts of the plan and an additional sub-series of studies commissioned by the tribes and executed by outside consultancies.
Series IV contains materials relating to the Klamath Tribes’ wildlife management and game policies; Series V contains materials pertaining to Klamath Tribes’ timber claims and forest management concerns.
Series VI consists of materials relating to the general operations and affairs of the Klamath Tribes’ General Council and Executive Committee, dating from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, with subseries pertaining to educational policies and health care materials. Series VII contains newspaper clippings of items relating to the Klamath Tribes, as well as copies of Klamath Tribes-produced newspapers.
Series VIII contains miscellaneous materials. Many materials in the collection belonged to Joseph Coburn, an educator and active member of Klamath Tribal government during the period covered by the collection.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Margaret Connell-Szasz is a professor in the department of history at the University of New Mexico. Her research areas are the American Indian/Alaskan Native and Celtic history from the eighteenth century to the present. Her recent publications include Between Indian and White Worlds: The Cultural Brokers (2001) and Education and the American Indian, The Road to Self-Determination Since 1928 (1999). Connell-Szasz donated her research materials on the Klamath Indian tribe in the fall of 2007.
3 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
This collection contains materials primarily relating to the operations and affairs of the Klamath Indian Tribes’ tribal government, most notably those of the General Council, Executive Committee, Restoration Committee, and Economic Self-Sufficiency Planning and Management Committees. The majority of materials in the collection date from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, though certain materials pertain to U.S. government policies and tribal operations dating from the 1950s to the 1990s.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Professor Margaret Connell-Szasz, Department of History, University of New Mexico.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by Evan Dresman.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Indians of North America -- Oregon -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Klamath Indian Tribe of Oregon -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Klamath Indians -- Economic conditions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Klamath Indians -- Government relations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Klamath Indians -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Native Americans Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tribal government -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Margaret Szasz Collection on the Klamath Indian Tribe
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Evan Dresman and Cassandra A. Schmitt
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English