Scope and Contents
The Dudley Dean McGaughy Papers consist of correspondence and manuscripts. The correspondence, arranged chronologically, is mainly with August Lenniger, founder of the Lenniger Literary Agency.
The collection also includes fifty-five novel-length manuscripts, most with first, second, and final drafts, outlines and synopses. Also included are manuscript fragments, miscellaneous notes, television screenplays, and newspaper clippings. These materials are arranged alphabetically by title, with the pseudonym under which it was written following the title.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Dudley Dean McGaughy (1906-1986), a prolific writer of pulp westerns and popular novels, published over one hundred books during his lifetime. Some of his more notable works were novels adapted from the television shows "Bonanza," "Heck Ramsey," and "The Rebel," as well as a science fiction/popular novel taken from the movie "Reptilicus." He was represented by the August Lenniger Literary Agency. McGaughy published under a number of pseudonyms, including Dudley Dean, Owen Dean, Lincoln Drew, Lin Evans, Owen Hodge, Owen Lynn, Dean McCoy, Dean Owen, Bret Sanders, and Brian Wynn.
McGaughy and his wife, Penny, lived in Laguna Beach, California. He died on October 3, 1986.
12 linear feet (8 containers) : 8 record storage boxes
Language of Materials
Dudley Dean McGaughy (1906-1986), a prolific writer of pulp westerns who published over 100 books during his lifetime, was represented by the Lenniger Literary Agency. Collection includes manuscripts and correspondence.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by Lisa Herrel, 1992
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lenniger Literary Agency
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pulp literature -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Screenplays Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Television authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Western stories Subject Source: Local sources
- Western stories -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Western television programs -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Dudley Dean McGaughey Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).