Sheba May Hargreaves papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of manuscripts of books and feature articles, correspondence, and pamphlets.
The manuscripts series consists of book and article length pieces, arranged alphabetically by title. The longer manuscripts include drafts of her published novels and an Oregon history compilation, The Oregon Source Book, which was apparently never published. The shorter manuscripts include fiction and non-fiction pieces with subjects that include pioneer living, medicinal herbs, mysticism and William S. U'ren, her uncle.
Correspondence is arranged chronologically and is primarily business oriented.
Pamphlets written by Hargreaves deal with the subject of cremation and are designed to promote the practice.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Sheba Hargreaves (1882-1960) was born in The Dalles, Oregon, on November 5, 1882. She was a graduate of the Oregon State Normal School in Monmouth, Oregon, now Western Oregon University. Her initial profession was of an elementary school teacher in both Oregon and California, however eventually she became an author, writing advertising publications and pamphlets, served as a feature writer for publications like the Oregon Journal and the Oregonion, and wrote historical fiction novels.
2.5 linear feet (5 containers) : 5 flat clamshell boxes
Language of Materials
Sheba Hargreaves (1882-1960) was an elementary teacher and author. The collection consists of manuscripts of books and feature articles, correspondence, and pamphlets.
The collection is organized into the following series: correspondence, manuscripts, manuscripts by others, published pamphlets on cremation written by Hargreaves.
All manuscripts are ordered alphabetically within the subcategories of book length manuscripts and article length manuscripts. Pamphlets are loosely arranged in alphabetical order and include additional categories like publisher critiques and publishing contracts.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by Peter Backes, 1989.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents. Folder titles are based on those created by the creators or previous custodians. Titles have not all been verified against the contents of the folders. In some cases, staff supplied folder titles during initial processing.
- American literature -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cremation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elementary and Secondary Education Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Fiction -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hargreaves, Sheba, 1882-1960
- Historical fiction Subject Source: Local sources
- Historical fiction, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon -- Fiction Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Oregon -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Teachers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- U'Ren, William Simon, 1859-1949
- Western stories Subject Source: Local sources
- Western stories -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women teachers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Sheba May Hargreaves Papers
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby. Revisions by Alexandra Mueller.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).