Jacob Wagner legislative correspondence
Scope and Contents
The collection (1936-1939) contains legislative correspondence, including letters from constituents.
Topics of correspondence from constituents include retirement, relief, smoking, farmers union regarding milk, mortuaries, prohibition/drinking laws, organized labor, among many others.
The correspondence is organized by date.
- Wagner, Jacob H., 1895-1964 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
"Jacob H. (Jack) Wagner (1895-1964) was born in Brunnental, Russia. He married Emma Werth about 1915 and later married Maria (Mary) Schmidt on June 11, 1933.
Wagner worked in the family business (Wagner Auto Wheel Works) and was elected President of the Oregon Truckmen's Association.
Wagner served in the Oregon House of Representatives, 39th Legislative Assembly, District 5, in 1937. Wagner was a candidate of the Democratic party in the primary for U.S. Representative from Oregon 3rd District in May 1938, but lost the primary race to Nan Wood Honeyman."
[Source: Volga Germans in Portland website: http://www.volgagermans.net/portland/]
0.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 clamshell box
Language of Materials
Jacob H. (Jack) Wagner (1895-1964) , originally from Russia, was elected to the Oregon House of Representatives in 1937 and also ran as a Democratic in the primary for U.S. Representative from Oregon 3rd District in May 1938. The collection (1936-1939) contains legislative correspondence, including letters from constituents.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legislators -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon. Legislative Assembly. House of Representatives
- Politicians -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wagner, Jacob H., 1895-1964
- Wagner, Jacob H., 1895-1964
- Guide to the Jacob Wagner Legislative Correspondence
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA