Virginia M. Mackenzie papers
Scope and Contents note
This small collection consists primarily of publications and a few pieces of correspondence.
- Mackenzie, Virginia M., 1894- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Virginia M. Mackenzie was born in Stornway, Scotland on May 18, 1894. She attended schools in Oregon, graduating from Lincoln High School in Portland in 1912 and receiving an A.B. degree from Reed College in 1916. She went on to become a United Presbyterian missionary teacher to Japan and served at Shimonoseki (1919-22, 1929-40, 1947-57), Osaka (1922-1935), Sappora (1926-1929) and Tokyo (1957-59).
0.5 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
Virginia M. Mackenzie (1894- ) was a Presbyterian missionary and teacher in Japan. The collection includes annual reports from Sturges Seminary (the school where she taught), correspondence (in both English and Japanese), constitutions for Japan and the world, and materials about Presbyterian missionaries in Japan.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Virginia Mackenzie in 1968.
Existence and Location of Copies note
Available in microfilm as part of: Women's lives. Series 3, American women missionaries and pioneers collection (MICROFILM BV3703 .W66 2006, reel 55); Primary Source Microfilm, 12 Lunar Dr., Woodbridge, Conn. 06525.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by Paz Mendez, Manuscripts Processor.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Itagaki, Seishirō, 1885-1948
- Mackenzie, Virginia M., 1894-
- Missionaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Missions -- Educational work -- Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Presbyterian Church -- Missions -- Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women missionaries -- Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Virginia M. Mackenzie Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Paz Mendez
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA