Consists of extensive correspondence (approx. 20,000 letters); writings and speeches by Anderson and others, primarily his weekly editorial column Straight Talk and other American Way Features publications; American Party files including campaign material.
- Creation: 1943-1986
- Anderson, Tom, 1910-2002 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Thomas Jefferson Anderson (1910-2002) was a member of the John Birch Society National Council, publisher of farm magazines, editorialist, public speaker, and political activist in the American Party.
94 linear feet (172 containers) : 172 boxes
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
See the Collective Name Index to the Research Collection of Conservative and Libertarian Studies for a cross-referenced index to names of correspondents in this collection, if any, and 37 related University of Oregon collections, including dates of correspondence. See index instructions on use.
Existence and Location of Copies
Selected sound recordings in this collection are available as digital audio files from Special Collections & University Archives: Reel 13.
Separated Materials note
Photographs in this collection are stored separately under call number PH201.
Processing Information note
Collection is processed.
- Snowden, Robert B. (Person)
- Schlafly, Phyllis (Person)
- Wallace, George C. (George Corley), 1919-1998 (Person)
- Stone, Willis E. (Willis Emerson), 1899-1989 (Person)
- Welch, Robert, 1899-1985 (Person)
- American Party (Organization)
- Benson, Ezra Taft (Person)
- Buckley, William F., Jr., 1925-2008 (Person)
- Andrews, T. Coleman (Thomas Coleman), 1899-1983 (Person)
- Baker, Howard H., Jr. (Howard Henry), 1925-2014 (Person)
- Everingham, Harry T. (Person)
- Haley, J. Evetts (James Evetts), 1901-1995 (Person)
- Carto, Willis A. (Person)
- Courtney, Kent, 1918-1997 (Person)
- Rousselot, John H. (Person)
- Rumely, Edward A. (Edward Aloysius), 1882-1964 (Person)
- Heinsohn, A. G., Jr. (Augereau Gray), 1896-1980 (Person)
- John Birch Society (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Guide to the Tom Anderson Papers
- Preliminary Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note