Frederick Bankhardt diaries and correspondence
Scope and Contents
The collection (1929-1949) contains nine volumes of diaries and minor correspondence.
The 1929 diary describes Bankhardt's experiences as head of an orphanage in Berea, Ohio.
The other diaries concern work in China. The diary entries are highly personal, and reflect the spiritual problems peculiar to missionaries.
- Bankhardt, Frederick (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 clam shell box
Language of Materials
Frederick Barnhardt was a Methodist missionary in China associated with the Yenping Mission of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The collection (1929-1949) contains diaries and minor correspondence.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Methodist Episcopal Church--Missions--China
- Missionaries -- China -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Missionaries -- China -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Missions, American -- China Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orphanages -- Ohio -- Berea Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Frederick Bankhardt diaries and correspondence
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).