Leslie D. Howell architectural drawings
Scope and Contents
The Leslie D. Howell Architectural Drawings include projects by the firm Knighton & Howell; projects by Howell after Knighton's death in 1938; and one project by Knighton prior to his partnership with Howell, the girls dormitory at Oregon Institute for the Feeble-Minded in Salem, now known as Fairfield. Significant projects include the Oregon State Office building and Grant High School, both located in Salem; the Pythian Home in Vancouver, Washington; and the Boys' Training School in Woodburn, Oregon. The drawings are arranged alphabetically by project name.
The photographs show an unidentified public school, an Oregon Motor Stage facility, Gillanders & Burroughs, Inc. Wholesale Grocery in Pendleton, and the Oregon State Office building in Salem.
- Howell, Leslie Dillon, 1884-1969 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Leslie Dillon Howell was born May 31, 1884 in Winfield, Kansas. A graduate of the University of Illinois School of Architecture, he set up practice in Portland, Oregon. Howell worked as a registered architect and engineer for thirty years, and was a partner of William Knighton for sixteen (1922-1938). One building by Knighton & Howell, the Templeton or Frigidaire Building in Portland, is listed on the National Register. Leslie Howell died Nov. 29, 1969, in Portland.
William C. Knighton (1866-1938) served as the architect of the State of Oregon in Salem from 1893 to 1896. He moved to Portland in 1902 and served in the Oregon State Board of Control from 1912 to 1917 (the Board coordinated the management of state institutions, construction of state buildings, and other duties assigned by the legislature). Prior to his partnership with Howell, Knighton had designed the Eastern Oregon State Hospital in Pendleton, the Oregon Supreme Court building and State Library building in Salem, the Governor Hotel in Portland, and the administration building at the University of Oregon in Eugene, now called Johnson Hall.
4.25 linear feet (3 containers, 54 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
Leslie D. Howell (1884-1969) was an architect and engineer in the Portland firm of Knighton & Howell. The projects are documented in architectural drawings and photographs, and consist of residences, commercial structures, educational institutions, and state offices, from 1912 to 1952.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of estate of Mrs. Leslie D. Howell in 1982.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Architects -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architectural drawings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture -- Oregon -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buildings -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buildings -- Washington (State) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Knighton & Howell (Portland, Or.)
- Knighton, William C., 1866-1938
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Salem Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Washington (State) Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Leslie D. Howell architectural drawings
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- 2006; 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA