Lawrence Timbers papers
Scope and Contents
The Lawrence Timbers papers document Timbers’ conservative political activities from 1946-1980. The collection consists primarily of correspondence and conservative publications but also includes subject files, committee records, dossiers, reports, speeches, and article drafts. Conservative publications include Canadian Intelligence Service, Inform, The Trumpet Line, and publications of the Pasadena Anti-Communist League. Notably, the collection documents the Washington State American Legion’s anti-communist activities, including their campaigns against UNESCO and UNICEF.
- Timbers, Lawrence, 1897- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Lawrence Timbers was a Seattle, Washington, job printer who was engaged in conservative political activities and served as chair of the Anti-Subversive Committee of the Washington State American Legion. He was active in the organizations Americans for America, For America, and For Economic Freedom. Timbers also privately published and edited Washington Summary and Timber!
5 linear feet (4 containers) : 3 record storage boxes; 1 legal size manuscript box
Language of Materials
Lawrence Timbers was a Seattle, Washington, job printer who was engaged in conservative political activities and served as chair of the Anti-Subversive Committee of the Washington State American Legion. The papers include correspondence, conservative publications, subject files, committee records, dossiers, reports, speeches, and article drafts.
This collection is arranged in its original order.
Other Finding Aids
See the Collective Name Index to the Research Collection of Conservative and Libertarian Studies for a cross-referenced index to names of correspondents in this collection, if any, and 37 related University of Oregon collections, including dates of correspondence. See index instructions on use.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Lawrence Timbers, 1968-1980.
Collection processed by Sarah Lueders, 2022.
- American Legion
- American Legion. Department of Washington. Anti-Subversive Committee
- Americans for America (Organization)
- Anti-communist movements -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bundy, Edgar C.
- Conservatism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservatism -- Washington (State) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservative literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservatives -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- For America (Organization)
- For Economic Freedom (Organization)
- Fuecker, Fred M. (Fred Michael), 1895-1975
- Jackson, Henry M. (Henry Martin), 1912-1983
- Magnuson, Warren G. (Warren Grant), 1905-1989
- McCarthy, Joseph, 1908-1957
- Pelly, Thomas M. (Thomas Minor), 1902-1973
- Pennington, Lee R.
- Robnett, George W. (George Washington), 1890-1970
- Timbers, Lawrence, 1897- (Person)
- Guide to the Lawrence Timbers papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, 2010. Revisions completed by Sarah Lueders, 2022.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA