Lyle Grimes collection relating to Jazz
Scope and Contents
The collection contains record catalogs, lists and reviews, personality profiles of musicians, jazz booklets and bibliography, artwork, clippings, and scrapbooks.
Record catalogs include Blacktone Index to Jazz, A-E, a catalogue of notes organized by record label, number, title, and musician.
Record lists include popular music by year (1715-1950).
Record reviews include The Gramophone Magazine (1955-1964), and other sources (1955-1960).
There are scrapbooks of clippings and one scrapbook of memorabilia collected in England in 1957.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Lyle Grimes was a collector of Jazz related information.
6 linear feet (4 containers, 1 package) : 4 clam shell boxes, 1 package
Language of Materials
Lyle Grimes was a collector of Jazz related information. The collection contains record catalogs , lists and reviews, personality profiles of musicians, jazz booklets and bibliography, artwork, clippings, and scrapbooks.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff, 1984.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Catalogs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Jazz Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jazz musicians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Popular music -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Lyle Grimes collection relating to Jazz
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA