George W. Robnett papers
Scope and Contents note
The George W. Robnett Papers consist largely of correspondence, speeches, and the publication of the Church League of America, News and Views. Also included are seven reports and booklets by Robnett dealing with communist influence in education and government, biographical sketches of American statesmen written by Robnett, press releases of lectures and speeches given by Robnett between 1940 and 1960, news clippings and other miscellaneous printed matter.
The correspondence, arranged chronologically, spans from 1937 to 1975 with the bulk falling between 1967 and 1969. It concerns matters relating to the Church League of America as well as the content and subsequent publication of Robnett's book, Conquest Through Immigration, a copy of which is with the collection. The speeches had previously been arranged and indexed into four subcategories: dated and titled, dated but untitled, undated but titled, and undated and untitled. They have been left in this order; the index can be found in box 3 folder 4. News and Views is arranged by volume number (1-277), and dates from 1937-1956, with some issues missing. Awards received by Robnett can be found chronologically arranged in the last folder.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
George Washington Robnett (1890-1970), author and advertising executive, co-founded in 1937 the National Laymen's Council, Church League of America, in Chicago, Illinois. He served as executive secretary of the League and editor if its publication, News and Views, until his retirement in 1957. After retiring, Robnett concentrated his efforts on the Middle-East conflict and made three trips to the area. While there, he visited dignitaries such as Mrs. Karina El-Said Rabie (Under Secretary of State in Egypt) and her husband Dr. Abbas H. Rabie; archaeologists, among them Dr. W. F. Albright; and refugee camps. George Robnett returned to Pasadena, California with his wife, Florence, where he worked on his book, Conquest Through Immigration and other projects until suffering a cerebral hemorrhage in August, 1969. He died in January, 1970.
2.5 linear feet (5 containers)
Language of Materials
George W. Robnett (1890-1975) was an author and advertising executive, and co-founder and executive secretary of the National Laymen's Council, Church League of America. After retiring, Robnett concentrated his efforts on the Middle-East conflict and made three trips to the area. The collection includes correspondence, speeches, publications, and news clippings that reflect his work with the Church League of America and his writing.
Other Finding Aids
See the Collective Name Index to the Research Collection of Conservative and Libertarian Studies for a cross-referenced index to names of correspondents in this collection, if any, and 37 related University of Oregon collections, including dates of correspondence. See index instructions on use.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Florence S. Robnett in 1974
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Anti-communist movements -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- United States -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church League of America. National Laymen's Council
- Communism and education -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservatism -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservative literature -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conservatives -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- International Relations Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Religious newspapers and periodicals -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robnett, George W. (George Washington), 1890-1970
- Robnett, George W. (George Washington), 1890-1970
- Statesmen -- United States -- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Emigration and immigration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the George W. Robnett Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Mary Beth Herkert, Manuscripts Processor
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA