Scope and Contents note
The collection consists largely of manuscripts of books and short stories, including his six published novels, his poetry and speeches. The collection also contains correspondence with publishers; tear sheets of stories and poems; miscellaneous book material, including reviews and royalty statements; biographical material; personal documents and teaching material from Washington State University. In the folder of biographical material is a certificate of recognition received in 1966 from the State of Washington signed by Governor Daniel J. Evans. There are also two reel-to-reel tapes of Dr. John Elwood of the WSU English faculty talking about two of Arntson's books, and reading from various chapters.
The collection contains a number of short stories and some novel length manuscripts. Several of the manuscripts have light to heavy holograph revisions. Some of the manuscripts are short scripts of dialogue.
The photographic materials in the collection include four documents advertising photography, two portraits believed to be of Arnston, and family snaphots.
- Arntson, Herbert E., 1911- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Herbert Edward Arntson (April 8, 1911-1982) is known for writing juvenile historical fiction. He was born in Tacoma, Washington. Arntson attended the University of Puget Sound for both his undergraduate and Masters degrees in English, and he completed his doctoral work at the University of Washington. He taught English at the high school and college level, and was head of the creative writing program at Washington State University for 28 years. Many of his stories center in and around Oregon's Willamette Valley in the mid-1800's, reflecting an influence of his early family history.
14.75 linear feet (30 containers)
Language of Materials
Herbert Edward Arntson (1911-1982) was an author, English professor, and musician. The collection includes manuscripts of books and short stories, poems, speeches and correspondence, which reflect his work.
Collection is organized into the following series: MiscellaneousCorrespondenceManuscripts, book length and short storyManuscripts, poetrySpeechesTear sheetsTear sheets, poetryBook materialWashington State University materialPhotographs
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Herbert Arntson in 1968.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by Francis Keating. Photographs processed by Megan Dazey.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Historical fiction, American -- Northwest, Pacific -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sound recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Washington (State) Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Washington State University
- West (U.S.) -- In literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Western stories Subject Source: Local sources
- Western stories -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Herbert E. Arntson papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.