Scope and Contents note
The Pearl Hall Collection of Bernard Daly Material consists of fifteen folders housed in one box, one box of artifacts, and two boxes of scrapbooks. The collection largely consists of correspondence which is contained in folders 2-9. The majority is love letters to Pearl Hall from Daly, 1900-1919. Four letters to Daly from Hall are also included. The remainder of the collection includes speeches by Daly, legal and miscellaneous documents, typescripts of printed material concerning Daly (arranged by subject), and newspaper clippings.
Also included in the collection are three scrapbooks. The smaller one primarily concerns Daly's race for Oregon State Representative, 1899. The two other scrapbooks contain articles on Daly and speeches by him as well as newspaper clippings concerning various topics such as patriotism, and local and regional news. Three broadsides are concerned with a pioneer reunion oration, a notice to men registered under the Selective Service Law and "Rules and Regulations... in reference to Hydrophobia." Removed from the collection are 15 photographs, the majority of which are of Daly. These are housed in the Photograph Collection.
- Hall, Pearl (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Bernard Daly, born in Ireland in 1858, immigrated to America with his family and eventually settled in Lakeview, Oregon. Daly graduated from Ohio State Normal School in 1886 and from the University of Kentucky Medical Department in 1887. Later that year he moved to Lakeview.
Daly was a member of the Oregon House of Representatives and the State Senate from 1892 to 1900. He later became County Judge of Lake County, a position he held from 1902 to 1915. During this time he began to study law and in 1911 was admitted to the Oregon Bar. In 1915 he was appointed Circuit Court Judge and served in this position until 1917, when he retired from public life. Daly also served on the Board of Education for 24 years and was President of the Bank of Lakeview, which he co-founded. Dally died on January 5, 1920. In his will, as a final tribute to education, he provided for worthy Lakeview students to attend the University of Oregon.
1.25 linear feet (4 containers)
Language of Materials
Bernard Daly (1858-1920) was a Lake County, Oregon judge. He also served in the Oregon House of Representatives and State Senate. The collection consists of correspondence, legal documents, speeches, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, and artifacts.
The collection is organized into the following series: Series I: Correspondence; Series II: Speeches by Bernard Daly; Series III: Legal and Miscellaneous Documents; Series IV: Typescripts of Printed Material Concerning Bernard Daly; Series V: Newspaper Clippings; Series VI: Miscellaneous; Series VII: Artifacts; and Series VIII: Scrapbooks.
Separated Materials note
Photographs in this collection are stored separately under call number PH253.
General Physical Description note
Processing Information note
Collection processed by Molly Grant.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Artifacts Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Broadsides Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Civil Procedure and Courts Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Clippings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Daly, Bernard, 1858-1920
- Daly, Bernard, 1858-1920
- Hall, Pearl
- Judges -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lake County (Or.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Lakeview (Or.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Legislators -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Oregon Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Political Campaigns Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Pearl Hall Collection of Bernard Daly Material
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by Molly Grant
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.