Scope and Contents note
This collection consists largely of correspondence, speeches, committee work and printed matter relating to Nancy Hayward's involvement in local government. The correspondence, arranged chronologically, covers the period 1966-1977 with a concentration during the early years Ms. Hayward served as county commissioner. It ranges in subject matter from local concerns to those at the federal level. Numerous letters from Oregon's governor and senators can be found. Most of the speeches in this collection were given in 1970 when Ms. Hayward ran for the county commissioner seat. They include anything from a campaign speech to a commencement address, and are also arranged chronologically. In addition, material gathered from Ms. Hayward's work on committees concerning Alton Baker Park, theater, and social goals is included. This material is grouped according to subject.
- Hayward, Nancy, 1922- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or from collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Nancy Hayward (1922- ) served as the first woman county commissioner in Lane County from 1970 to 1976. Previously, she had served on the Eugene City Council from 1966 to 1970. She came from a political family and has been active in the League of Women Voters. These papers reflect her interest in women's rights, local issues, Vietnam, and Watergate. She remains influential in many local affairs.
1.5 linear feet (13 containers)
Language of Materials
Nancy Hayward (1922-) was Lane County, Oregon politician, having served as the first woman county commissioner (1970-1976) and on the Eugene City Council from 1966 to 1970. The collection reflects her interest in women's rights, local issues, Vietnam, and Watergate; the collection includes correspondence, speeches, committee work records, and newspaper clippings.
Series I: CorrespondenceSeries II: SpeechesSeries III: Committee WorkSeries IV: Printed Matter
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Nancy Hayward in 1980.
General Physical Description note
Processing Information note
Collection processed by Gregory Williams
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- County government -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eugene (Or.) -- Politics and government Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Eugene (Or.). -- City Council Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Hayward, Nancy, 1922-
- Lane County (Or.) -- Politics and government Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Municipal government -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1951- Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political Campaigns Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women -- Political activity -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Selected Papers of Nancy Hayward
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Gregory Williams
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.