Elizabeth Carlyle letters from China
Scope and Contents
The collection (1937-1938) contains outgoing correspondence regarding the conquest of Tientsin (Tianjin).
There are ten outgoing letters, written to Carlyle's mother, and they describe the conquest of Tientsin (Tianjin) by the Japanese, during the beginning of the Second Sino-Japanese War.
- Carlyle, Elizabeth (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Elizabeth Carlyle worked as a nurse at the Isabella Fisher Hospital, in Tientsin (Tianjin), China. The collection (1937-1938) contains outgoing correspondence regarding the conquest of Tientsin (Tianjin).
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Americans -- China -- Tianjin Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Carlyle, Elizabeth
- China -- Politics and government -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Missions, American -- China Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Missions, Medical -- China -- Tianjin Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nurses -- China -- Tianjin Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tianjin (China) -- History Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Elizabeth Carlyle Letters From China
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).