Myrtle A. Smith papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains primarily letters from Smith to her friends, parents and sisters. It also contains a few letters she received from friends and family. Also included are a few ephemeral publications, such as a newsletter and a pamphlet. Photographs are snapshots of Kutien and Foochow.
- Smith, Myrtle A. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Myrtle A. Smith was a Methodist missionary in Kutien, Fukien, China from the 1920s to the 1940s.
1.75 linear feet (3 containers)
Language of Materials
Miss Smith was a Methodist missionary teacher at Kutien, Fukien, China from 1922 through 1954. The collection contains outgoing and incoming correspondence that reflects her missionary life and snapshots of Kutien and Foochow.
Existence and Location of Copies
This collection has been microfilmed. Microfilm reels are available for purchase, or via Inter-library Loan. When requesting reels for this collection, please request: “Women’s Lives, Series 3, American Women Missionaries and Pioneers Collection, reel(s) 52."
Microfilms of this collection have been digitized. Digital images prepared from microfilm copies are available from Special Collections & University Archives, and available online through Gale’s Women's Studies Archive: Women’s Issues and Identities.
Collection processed by Richelle Riddle, October 2005.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Christianity -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Methodist Church -- Missions -- China -- Fujian Sheng Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Smith, Myrtle A.
- Snapshots Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Women missionaries -- China -- Fujian Sheng Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Myrtle A. Smith papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA