J.M. Sutton account of the Rogue River Indian War of 1855
Scope and Contents
Sutton's account of the war is hand-written, as is his letter. He wrote his account in 1863.
Sutton was located in Ft. Vancouver, Washington Territory when he wrote the letter to "Sir."
- Sutton, J. M., active 1863 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
J.M. Sutton enquired, gathered information, and wrote an account of Rogue River Indian War of 1855; it is only known that he wrote the account, not that he participated in the war. The collection (1863) contains Sutton's account of the war, and a letter from Sutton, addressed to "Sir," explaining that he had "gleaned" his account from "enquires made."
Collection processed by staff in 1970s, and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Oregon -- Rogue River Valley (Klamath County-Curry County) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Native Americans Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reminiscences Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rogue River Indian War, 1855-1856 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rogue River Valley (Klamath County-Curry County, Or.) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sutton, J. M., active 1863
- Sutton, J. M., active 1863
- Guide to the J.M. Sutton Account of the Rogue River Indian War of 1855
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).