The experiences of W.A. Hockett on the Oregon Trail, 1847
Scope and Contents note
The W.A. Hockett Papers consists of a single manuscript of about seventeen typewritten pages. The manuscript details the events of 1846-1847, when Mr. Hockett and his family made the trek across the Oregon Trail with a company of other settlers from Salem, Iowa. The chronicle is based on letters of Nathan A. Hockett. The papers include an introduction by Mr. Hockett as well as lyrics to the song "I Ain't Dead Yet".
- Hockett, W. A., 1837- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
W.A. Hockett was born around 1837 in Salem, Iowa. He was the third of four children. At the age of nine, he and his family joined the Lewelling party which crossed the western plains of the Oregon Trail. On the trail, his father, Nathan H. Hockett, died on August 22, 1847 and his mother, Rebecca Hockett, died on August 27, 1847. W.A. Hockett and his siblings competed the trek to Oregon, arriving in Portland on December 21, 1847. The children were then separated to live with separate families. Mr. Hockett lived with Jacob Reed and his family. In the spring of 1851, Mr. Hockett returned to Iowa by travelling through Panama. He returned to Salem, Iowa on May 21, 1851.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Collection comprises a single manuscript that is W.A. Hockett's personal account of his journey across the Oregon Trail. The manuscript was typed by Hockett in 1914 and discusses events occurring in 1846-1847.
Collection is located with other small manuscripts collections.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Hockett, Nathan A.
- Hockett, W. A., 1837-
- Lewelling Party Subject Source: Local sources
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon National Historic Trail Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Overland Journeys to the Northwestern United States Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Overland journeys to the Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- West (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to The Experiences of W.A. Hockett on the Oregon Trail
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Jenny Palm
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA