George W. Walker letters
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 103 letters. Most of the letters are to or by George W. Walker and his wife, Mary Webster Walker, and describe Army experiences and life at home. Letters before and after the Civil War are minor family correspondence.
- Walker, George Washington, 1821-1895 (Person)
- Walker, Mary A. Webster, 1832-1908 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
George Washington Walker was from Waupun, Wisconsin. He served during the Civil War in the 32nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, one of the regiments that participated in Sherman's march through Georgia and South Carolina.
0.1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 folders
Language of Materials
George Washington Walker was a soldier in the 32nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. The collection consists primarily of correspondence between Walker and his wife, Mary Webster Walker, during the war.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Sherman's March through the Carolinas -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sherman's March to the Sea -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 32nd (1862-1865)
- Walker, George Washington, 1821-1895
- Walker, Mary A. Webster, 1832-1908
- Guide to the George W. Walker Letters
- Complete Description
- Austin Munsell and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA