Samuel Asahel Clarke papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of typed transcripts of sections from Clarke's scrapbook.
These include Legend of Garfield, a poem commemorating the passing of President John Garfield, and The Great Flood: Exciting Incidents of the Inundation of 1862, Clarke's account of the Great Flood of 1862. Also included is a biographical sketch of General Elisha L. Applegate.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Samuel Asahel Clarke (1827-1909) was a newspaperman, historian, and poet. Born on the island of Cuba, Clarke travelled to the United States as a child with his mother. As a young man, Clarke travelled west seeking gold in California. In 1850, he moved to Oregon, where he married Harriet Buckingham.
Throughout his career, Clarke wrote for various Oregon newspapers included the Oregonian, of which he was the editor for a time, and the Statesman and Unionist. His works of history include Pioneer Days of Oregon and Legends of the Cascades.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Samuel Asahel Clarke (1827-1909) was an Oregon newspaperman, historian, and poet. The collection consists of typed transcripts of sections from Clarke's scrap book.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Applegate, Elisha L. (Elisha Lindsay), 1832-1896
- Authors, American -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clarke, S. A. (Samuel Asahel), 1827-1909
- Floods -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Garfield, James A. (James Abram), 1831-1881
- Historians -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalists -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Samuel Asahel Clarke papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).