Scope and Contents
Collection contains nine photostats of letters written by Albert Applegate. Letters appear to be written from military camps and forts around Oregon (including Camp Logan, Fort Dallas, Camp Watson) or California locations. Eight letters are written to family members and one is written to a commanding officer.
- Applegate, Albert, 1843-1888 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Albert Applegate (1843-1888) was born 06 December 1843, at the "Old Methodist Mission" founded by Jason Lee in 1834, about five miles northwest of Keizer, Oregon. He was the son of Jesse Applegate who helped establish the Applegate Trail. A farmer by trade, Albert Applegate lived near Drain, Douglas County in 1850 and married Nancy J. Johnson on February 17, 1869. He also served in the 1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Albert Applegate (1843-1888) was a farmer and served in the 1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He was the son of Jesse Applegate who helped establish the Applegate Trail. Collection contains nine photostats of letters written by Albert Applegate during his military career.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Camp Watson (Or.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon. Militia. Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 1st
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- California -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Albert Applegate letters
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English