Scope and Contents
Collections contains one scrapbook of letters, programs, receipts, photographs, and other mementos relating to the career of James Blakely, Brownsville, Oregon.
- circa 1812-1913
- Blakely, James, 1812-1913 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Captain James Blakely (1812-1912) was born in Lynes County, Tennessee, November 26, 1812, and received his education there. In 1846, he started for Oregon and arrived at present day Brownsville on October 9 of that year. With his uncle, Hugh L. Brown, after whom Brownsville later was named, he took up a donation claim and started Brownsville in 1855. Along with his uncle he became a member of one of the leading mercantile establishments of that region.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 volume
Language of Materials
Captain James Blakely (1812-1913) was a merchant and one of the founding members of Brownsville, OR. Collections contains one scrapbook of letters, programs, receipts, photographs, and other mementos relating to the career of James Blakely, Brownsville, Oregon.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Mabel McClain.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Blakely, James, 1812-1913
- Brownsville (Or.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the James Blakely Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English