William C. Gleim letters
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, from September 11 to November 4, 1899.
He wrote letters to his parents from the Presidio, San Francisco, from the transport ship Sherman en route to the Philippines, and from Luzon. His letters are descriptive of soldier life, little of it positive.
- September 11-November 4, 1899
- Gleim, William C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
William C. Gleim was an enlisted man from Chicago during the Philippine-American War (Philippine War of Independence), probably in the 1st Illinois Battalion. At one point, he was located in the Presidio, San Francisco, on the transport Sherman en route to the Philippines, and in Luzon.
0.025 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
William C. Gleim was an enlisted man from Chicago during the Philippine-American War (Philippine War of Independence), probably in the 1st Illinois Battalion. The collection (1899) contains correspondence written from Gleim to his parents from the transport ship Sherman en route to the Philippines, and from Luzon.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Luzon (Philippines) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Philippines -- History -- Philippine American War, 1899-1902 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sherman (Transport ship)
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army
- Guide to the William C. Gleim Letters
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA