Harold B. Smith letter
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a letter dated January 5, 1919, in which Smith bemoaned the fact that his relatives had not been receiving his letters, and jokes about not bathing in a month, but that his new quarters would remedy that situation.
- 1919 January 5
- Smith, Harold B., active 1918-1919 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Harold B. Smith served in the 49th Company, 5th Regiment of the U.S. Marines during World War I.
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Harold B. Smith served in the 49th Company, 5th Regiment of the U.S. Marines during World War I. The collection contains a letter dated January 5, 1919 from Smith to his Aunt Belle and Uncle Phil of Albany, Oregon, regarding his experience while stationed in Germany.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Smith, Harold B., active 1918-1919
- Soldiers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Marine Corps
- United States. Marine Corps. Marine Regiment, 5th. Battalion, 1st. Company, 49th
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Harold B. Smith Letter
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).