W. H. Hardy letter to Fred Lockley
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a letter dated November 18, 1918 from Hardy to Fred Lockley, regarding a poem Hardy wrote and published to commemorate Perry, and a copy of the poem is enclosed.
- November 18, 1918
- Hardy, W. H., William H., 1835-1919 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.025 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
W. H. Hardy was a member of the U.S. Navy and was a member of the Naval expedition to Japan in 1852-1854, Commanded by Mathew C. Perry, that resulted in opening up trade routes with Japan. The collection contains a letter dated November 18, 1918 from Hardy to Fred Lockley, and a poem commemorating Perry.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diplomacy -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hardy, W. H., William H., 1835-1919
- Japan -- Foreign relations -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalists -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lockley, Fred, 1871-1958
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858
- Poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poets, American -- 20th century -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States Naval Expedition to Japan (1852-1854)
- United States. Navy
- Guide to the W. H. Hardy Letter to Fred Lockley
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA