Herbert Parkyn letters to Robert M. Brereton
Scope and Contents
There are two letters from Parkyn to Brereton, dated January 11th, 1907.
In the letters, Parkyn describes the "Lovett Method" for making steel from iron and recovering the valuable by-products. He describes separators that were developed by Black Sand and Gold Recovery Company to extract iron from the sands of the Columbia River.
Parkyn also enclosed a company pamphlet which contains reprints of government testimony and decisions regarding the black sands of the Pacific Slope, and four newspaper articles regarding black sand discoveries, surveys, and extraction in the Pacific Coast and Columbia River.
- 1907 January 11
- Parkyn, Herbert A. (Herbert Arthur) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Herbert Parkyn was a financial agent for the Black Sand and Gold recovery company of Chicago, Illinois. The collection (1907) contains letters and printed material that Parkyn sent to Robert M. Brereton of Portland, Oregon regarding black sand (iron extraction) in the Pacific Coast and the Columbia River.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Black Sand and Gold Recovery Company
- Black sand -- West (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Brereton, R. M. (Robert Maitland), 1833-1911
- Clippings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Iron -- Metallurgy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iron industry and trade -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iron ores -- Columbia River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iron ores -- Pacific Coast (Or.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mines and Mineral Resources Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Parkyn, Herbert A. (Herbert Arthur)
- Separators (Machines) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Steel -- Metallurgy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Herbert Parkyn Letters to Robert M. Brereton
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).