Amelia R. Combs report on Lane County historic buildings
Scope and Contents note
The Amelia Combs’ Native Daughters document consists of a single hand-written report. Addressed to “The President and Native Daughters,” it was composed on July 8, 1906, and lists the results of Combs’ survey of twelve individuals who were among the earliest settlers in Eugene, Oregon, and Lane County. Among the list of questions she posed to these early residents were the location of Skinner’s Cabin and Columbia College. While the results of this inquiry were less than precise, she reported her findings in this document. The document is four pages long.
- 1906 July 8
- Combs, Amelia R., 1855-1939 (Person)
Language of Materials note
Collection materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Amelia R. Combs was the youngest daughter of Mary Cook and Eugene F. Skinner, on whose land claim the city of Eugene, Oregon was founded and for whom the city is named. Amelia Combs gathered statistical information from Oregon pioneers who came to Lane County between the years of 1847 and 1853 as a member of Native Daughters of Oregon, the women’s auxiliary of the Native Sons of Oregon, a fraternal organization committed to the preserving of the history of white settlement in Oregon.
0.25 linear feet (1 container) : 1 half manuscript box
Amelia R. Combs lived in Eugene, Oregon and was a member of a history association, “Native Daughters.” Acting as chairperson of a committee to gather information about the history of the Eugene Skinner cabin, the location of Columbia College, and the early history of the first Eugene court, Amelia Combs compiled a report in the form of a list responses to these questions.
Existence and Location of Copies
This collection has been microfilmed. Microfilm reels are available for purchase, or via Inter-library Loan. When requesting reels for this collection, please request: “Women’s Lives, Series 3, American Women Missionaries and Pioneers Collection, reel(s) 80.”
General Physical Description note
One folder in one half manuscript box.
Processing Information note
Collection is processed.
- Guide to the Amelia R. Combs Report on Lane County Historic Buildings
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English