Mary Phelps Montgomery letter to Walter F. Burrell
Scope and Contents
In the letter, Montgomery tells of her experience watching Senator John H. Mitchell's speech in defense of his indictment.
- 1905 January 18
- Montgomery, Mary S. Phelps (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
John H. Mitchell (1835-1905) represented Oregon in the U.S. Senate, as a Republican, for over twenty years. He was indicted in a land fraud scandal.
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
John H. Mitchell (1835-1905) represented Oregon in the U.S. Senate, as a Republican, and he was also indicted in a land fraud scandal. The collection contains a letter dated January 18, 1905 from Mary Phelps Montgomery of Washington, D.C, to Walter F. Burrell of Portland, Oregon regarding Mitchell's indictment.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Burrell, Walter Frazar, 1863-1946
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legislators -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mitchell, John H. (John Hipple), 1835-1905
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politicians -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public lands -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Congress. Senate
- Women civic leaders -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Mary Phelps Montgomery Letter to Walter F. Burrell
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)