Albert Zieber diary and letters
Scope and Contents
The diary describes Zieber's overland trip to California, March 28 to June 6, 1850, as far as South Pass. Entries describe the weather and daily occurrences on the trail. The first page of the diary is a catalog of provisions purchased for the journey and their cost. Zieber also recorded his wages earned and employers in the back of the diary.
There are four letters from his father, John S. Zieber, written April, June, and October 1850, gossiping about Peoria persons and events. The letters anticipate Zieber Senior's emigration to Oregon in 1851.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Albert Zieber (1830-1890) was a native of Peoria, Illinois who travelled overland to California in 1850.
Following his journey to California, he moved to Oregon, where he ran the Wheatland Ferry (as Zieber's Ferry) in Marion County from 1857 to 1860.
In 1856, Albert's father John S. Zieber was surveyor general of Oregon.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Alfred Zieber (1830-1890) travelled overland from Peoria, Illinois to California. The collection consists of Zieber's diary of his journey, as well as four subsequent letters from his father, John S. Zieber.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Illinois -- Peoria Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Overland journeys to the Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peoria (Ill.) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- California -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- California -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Illinois -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Zieber, Albert, 1830-1890
- Zieber, Albert, 1830-1890
- Zieber, John S.
- Guide to the Albert Zieber Diary and Letters
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).