Oregon Steamship Company bill of lading
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a bill of lading dated September 26, 1878, with a detailed list of goods.
- 1878 September 26
- Oregon Steamship Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Oregon Steamship company was organized in July of 1872, with steamers purchased from the North Pacific Transportation company. The North Pacific company would, from then on, operate only south of San Francisco, while the Oregon Steamship would operate north of the bay area. The Oregon Steamship company also purchased the entire stock of the Willamette Transportation company.
The officers of the Oregon Steamship company were Benjamin Holladay (president), Benjamin Holladay, Jr. (vice president), E. H. C. Taylor (secretary), and J. D. Biles (agent of the Steamboat Department).
[Source: Victorian Daily Standard, August 6, 1872.]
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
The Oregon Steamship company was organized in July of 1872. The collection contains a bill of lading dated September 26, 1878, with a detailed list of goods.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Bills of lading Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shipping -- Oregon -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shipping -- Pacific Coast (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shipping records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Steamboat lines -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Oregon Steamship Company Bill of Lading
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).